Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Should dogs hike off-leash at all? Readers debate leashing dogs on trails

http://image.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width960/img/oregonian/photo/2016/01/20/
The topic of hiking with off-leash dogs generated a lot of discussion on Facebook last weekend, after nature photographer Gary David Currie posted a video of his pup walking free, and dangerously close to the edge of a cliff.
It also generated some good conversation on Oregonlive Thursday, in the comments of my story exploring the dangers of off-leash hiking and the laws in place to keep dogs and humans safe on precipitous trails. Here are the highlight of a pretty good conversation (some comments edited for length).
The predominant viewpoint, at least at the beginning, was one of reasonable caution:
Should people hike with their dogs off-leash?
Leash requirements need to reflect the situation at that location.  In city parks, dogs should be on a leash unless in a designated off leash area. Out in nature outside the city and urban areas, the issues change and usually having your dog leashed is as much about keeping the dog safe as anything else. 
Nonseq8tur
It's a judgment call.  I took my dog for her first backcountry trip, circled the South Sister and climbed to the top to spend the night.  I used a leash where it was required in areas of higher use--sometimes letting her drag it so I could grab it quickly. She is a two-year-old 30lb high-energy dog.
hamsy
Clearly this is an issue that must be evaluated on a case by case basis. Owners need to be honest about how well they control their dogs both on and off leash (some dogs are a danger ON leash) and evaluate each trail. For every hazardous trail there must be dozens of much more dog friendly trails ... A blanket "no dogs off leash" policy is ridiculous.
Though some commenters promised to take much more extreme action if an unleashed dog came bounding up the trail:
Sure it's safe to hike with your dog off leash if you don't mind my shooting it if it attacks me. When I hike, I usually do carry my firearm as I have had some run ins with wild life, mainly bears and mountain lions. Thankfully, I have not had to shoot them, but wouldn't hesitate if I needed to.

Someone had their dog off leash on the Pacific Crest Trail near Odell Lake a few years ago ... The dog came charging at me and the owner was nowhere to be seen. I always carry a pistol with me while hiking/backpacking and drew down on the dog. The owner is lucky the dog stopped charging at about 30 feet away.

A few readers shared their own stories about hiking with their dogs, which had a tendency to get painful, even downright tragic:
I owned and adored my two goldens and had one of them gone over a cliff, heartbroken doesn't even come close to the despair I would feel.  If you can't protect your furry friend the same way you would your child, you shouldn't have a pet.  

I used to let my dogs walk off leash in the woods then one day one of them yelped in pain and emerged from the brush with a mouthful of porcupine quills. From then on I've kept them on leash for that reason and several others. 

 ...While backpacking with my Golden Retriever in Goat Rocks on a remote trail, he took off after a marmot in an open meadow. He got into predator instinct and would not stop - and this was a dog that listened to me. Luckily, the marmot disappeared and my dog pooped out. But, I had to run after him for about 1/4 mile to catch him.

And, perhaps inevitably, the debate tpivoted suddenly to the issue of poop:
Forget the leash, let's address dog poop left on many Oregon trails that other hikers have to deal with.

--Jamie Hale | jhale@oregonian.com | @HaleJamesB

No comments:

Post a Comment